Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Spicy Moroccan Stewed Fish with Couscous



This recipe was okay. A little bit bland. But it could be because I didn't exactly follow the recipe. It calls for a fresh chile. The only thing I could find at Walmart was a huge bag of them, and I didn't really want to buy them. Also I'm not a huge fan of spicy things, so I just decided to omit it. Also, I forgot to buy the can of diced tomatoes, so I just chopped up some fresh ones, which I think that's okay to do. The cinnamon added a very unique touch. I thought it may taste weird, but you really wouldn't be able to tell it was cinnamon, unless you knew.
I already had frozen shrimp and fish (I used tilapia), basil (left from my first recipe), peas, cinnamon, and garlic. Here's how much I spent on everything else:
Couscous - $2.21
Cumin seeds - $2.78 (Only used a little, plenty left for later)
2 lemons - .76
So, I only spent $5.75. It probably wouldn't be super expensive if you had to buy the other things. I always buy frozen tilapia in bulk (about $10 for 10-15 fillets) and a bag of frozen shrimp is about $5, but you only use about half the bag.
So, this meal could probably be done for under $10. If you like spicy food, use the fresh chile, maybe it'll taste a little better than mine. I didn't love this recipe, but it wasn't terrible. I would recommend experimenting with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment