Monday, May 16, 2011

Broiled Trout (or Tilapia) Topped with Mustard and Oats


Serves 2

Olive oil
2 chunky trout fillets, skin on, scaled and bones removed (about 7 ounces each) (I used tilapia)
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (I used ground mustard)
2 handfuls of old-fashioned oats
1 lemon


To prepare your trout

Preheat your broiler to the highest setting. Drizzle a sheet pan with some olive oil and rub all over. Lay the trout fillets, skin side down, on the pan and season well with salt and pepper. Smear a teaspoon of mustard over each fillet. Put the oats into a bowl drizzle a little olive oil over them, and toss around to coat. Sprinkle a handful of oats over each fillet and pat down. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and give them another pat.

To cook your trout
Put the sheet pan under the preheated broiler for about 10 minutes, until the oats are golden brown and crispy and the fish is cooked through.

To serve your trout
Divide between your plates and serve with simple baby potatoes, use lemon wedge for squeezing over.

This was VERY easy, and pretty good. It wasn't the best thing I've ever tasted. But it was easy, cheap, and just a different way to cook fish. And it's pretty healthy too! I had it with a sweet potato and some homemade bread. Probably would've been better with some steamed veggies, or something like that, but I didn't have anything else. I usually have all of these ingredients on hand, since I buy my fish in bulk. So this will be my go to recipe when I haven't gone to the store, or if I'm in a hurry. Try this one!
~

No comments:

Post a Comment