Monday, May 16, 2011

Baked French Potatoes


Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 3/4 pounds potatoes, peeled and finely sliced
1 pound medium onions, finely sliced
3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
Italian parsley, finely chopped
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Butter

Directions:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Put chicken or vegetable broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil.

3. Peel and slice potatoes. Peel, halve, and slice onions and garlic.

4. Pick the leaves from a small handful of fresh Italian parsley and finely chop. Pour a couple of lugs [a "lug" is about one tablespoon] of olive oil into a large, hot pan with the onions, garlic, and parsley. Slowly fry for 10 minutes, until the onions are soft and lightly golden. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper.

5. In a large baking dish, place a layer of potatoes, a sprinkling of salt and pepper, and a layer of onions. Continue, repeating until you've used everything up, but try to finish with a layer of potatoes on top.

6. Pour in the hot broth to just cover the top of the potatoes. Break up 2 pats of butter and dot over the top.

7. Rub some aluminum foil with olive oil, place it, oil-side down, over the dish, and seal tight.

8. Place in the oven for 45 minutes, then remove the aluminum foil, push the potatoes down, and return to the oven for 20 to 40 minutes until golden and crisp.

Serves 4 to 6


This turned out really bad! I don't know if I did something wrong or what. The potatoes were really mushy. The taste wasn't too bad, I think it was just the texture that ruined it for me. It definitely isn't worth the time put into making it. The only thing I did differently was I made my own chicken broth. But I don't think that would make a difference in the texture. Maybe if you didn't put as much broth in there. But I'm not going to waste my time trying it again. If you're curious, go ahead and try it, and let me know if it turns out any better than mine. :)



1 comment:

  1. Possibly potatoes are too waxy . Desiree are a good option

    ReplyDelete