Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chicken & Leek Stroganoff


Serves 2 (my husband and I both ate some, then I had leftovers for lunch)

Ingredients

sea salt
1/4 cup long grain or basmati rice (I used jasmine rice because we had some)
1 large leek
a big handful of crimini or oyster mushrooms (I don't really know what crimini or oyster mushrooms are, so i just got regular white ones)
2 chicken breasts (I used chicken tenders because I had some in the freezer)
olive oil
a pat of butter
a glass of white wine (I bought white cooking wine at Walmart)
freshly ground black pepper
a bunch of fresh parsley
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
1 lemon

Pour boiling water from the kettle into a 2 quart saucepan, place on a high heat and add a pinch of sea salt. Add your rice, bring back to a boil, then turn the heat down slightly. Cook for the length of time given in the instructions on the package.

Cut both ends off the leek, quarter lengthways, slice across thinly, then wash well under running water. Slice the mushrooms. Slice the chicken breasts into little=finger-size pieces.

Put a large frying pan on a high heat and add a good lug of olive oil and a pat of butter. Add the leek to the pan with the white wine, a small glass of water, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Let it bubble away for 5 minutes, covered loosely with a piece of aluminum foil. Meanwhile, finely chop the parsley, stalks and all. Remove the foil and add the chicken strips, most of the parsley, the cream, and the mushrooms. Stir, bring back to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain your rice. Just before serving, cut your lemon in half and squeeze the juice of one half into the stroganoff. Season to taste.

Spoon some rice onto each plate and top with the stroganoff. Scatter with the rest of the chopped parsley. Serve with the other lemon half, cut into wedges.


I bought all the ingredients at Walmart. I already had some of the products, but here's what I spent on what I didn't have:
Sea Salt - $1.18
Leek - the recipe calls for 1, but it only came in 3's for $2.48
Mushrooms - $1.88 (didn't use them all, so I can use the rest for something else)
White cooking wine - $2.44
Bunch of parsley - 0.88
Heavy cream - $2.18
Lemon - .38
So, I spent a total of $11.42 for this meal. Which is only $3.80/serving (for us) Not bad!

This recipe was very good, SUPER easy, and only took about 20 minutes to make. To be honest, before this recipe, I don't think I even knew what a leek was. And I've never cooked with wine before either. Needless to say, this is not my regular way of cooking. But I REALLY enjoyed it!
My husband and I had it with a roll and were very satisfied. You could probably serve it with some veggies or salad to go on the side.
I definitely recommend this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment